- This event has passed.
Southern Alliance for Clean Energy presents “DO NOT OPEN” performance
January 19, 2017 @ 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Contact: Jennifer Rennicks, Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
ADVISORY: Miami Community Leaders, Elected Officials, and Artist, Join in Interactive Art Installation
to Highlight Sea Level Rise and Uncertain Future of South Florida
Event emphasizes climate action uncertainty as President-Elect Trump is inaugurated
Miami, Fla. – One day before the inauguration of climate change denier President-Elect Trump, Miami-based and globally featured artist Xavier Cortada will host a live performance as a portion of his ongoing research driven art, CLIMA 2016. The interactive exhibit “Do Not Open” invites participants to imagine the future of South Florida, its communities, and the effects of sea level rise, writing letters to future Floridians placed in a time capsule.
When: January 19th at 7:00 PM
Where: Cortada Art Studio Gallery, 4664 SW 75th Avenue, Miami, FL 33155
- Xavier Cortada
- Elected Officials
- Community Leaders
- South Florida Residents
What: The event, through art, will draw attention to the challenge of climate change impacts to South Florida and the need for more action now. This is an especially critical and timely message as the event is being held only one day before the inauguration of a new president who vocally denies climate change and its effects already being felt by communities throughout the world. The Do Not Open art installation is a time capsule to capture written messages/letters that will be added to the exhibit by Xavier Cortada. The performance also coincides with the full gallery opening featuring a series of ceramic and tile works.
DO NOT OPEN:Participant Instructions | Artist’s Poem
- Walk up to the “Do Not Open” wall in the exhibit.
- Close your eyes: Imagine your city in the future. Imagine how rising seas will impact it and those who will live here then.
- Think about what you would like them to know. Think about what you believe someone living in 2041, 2066, 2116 or 2216 will need to hear from someone living in 2016.
- Unclip a blank piece of paper and envelope from the wall and use a pencil to write it all down: Tell them who you are. Tell them why you are writing to them. Sign it. Date it.
- Fold the letter in two, kiss it, place it in the envelope and seal it.
- On the outside of the envelope write only one of these four phrases:
“DO NOT OPEN: 25 years”
“DO NOT OPEN: 50 years”
“DO NOT OPEN: 100 years”
“DO NOT OPEN: 200 years”
- Clip the sealed envelope to the “Do Not Open” wall with the words facing out.
- Stare at your envelope for 25 seconds, 50 seconds, 100 seconds, or 200 seconds.
- Think of how your words will be received in the future.
- Walk away
Earlier Workshop with Seniors
Wednesday, December 7th, 2016 at 10 am
Milander Center for Arts & Entertainment