The Underwater Homeowners Association aims to generate awareness on rising sea levels, and engage Floridians to take action against climate change by providing a space where homeowners can address its impending impacts. Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of every month at the Hibiscus Gallery in Pinecrest Gardens.
with Gabriela Rodriguez, Program Coordinator, The CLEO Institute
with Teddy L’Houtellier, Sustainability Manager, University of Miami
with Dr. Esber Andiroglu, Associate Professor of Practice, Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering, University of Miami
with Katherine Hagemann, Resilience Program Manager for Adaptation for Miami-Dade County
with Brian Haus, Ph.D., Professor, Chair of the Department of Ocean Sciences at the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
with Alberto Cairo, Ph.D., Author, Lecturer, and Professor at the University of Miami School of Communication
with Xavier Cortada, Artist & Underwater HOA Founder
with Brian Soden, Ph.D., Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
with Hunter Vaughan, Ph.D., Author, media scholar, and Environmental Media Scholar-in-Residence at University of Colorado Boulder
with Landolf Rhode-Barbarigos, Ph.D., Assistant Professor at the Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering, University of Miami School of Engineering.
with Sonia Chao, Professor and Director of the Center for Urban & Community Design, University of Miami School of Architecture.
with Dr. Ben Kirtman, Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.
Cortada Projects is excited to be bringing the UHOA to an online platform where it will provide a space for the community to come together, reflect on our collective situation, and work together for a brighter future.
Exploring how we can use the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day to mobilize people to prepare and plan for the impacts of climate change in the 50 years to come.
Discussion and presentation on the future of flood insurance in the era of sea level rise and climate change.
Join artist Xavier Cortada and community members in a discussion to reflect on the last year of Underwater HOA’s activities.
- January 9, 2019 – Inaugural Meeting at the Hibiscus Gallery
- February 6, 2019 – Equitable Solutions
- March 6, 2019 – Water & Sewer Infrastructure
- April 4, 2019 – Tiffany Troxler, Director of Science for the Sea Level Solutions Center
- May 1, 2019 – Net-Zero Water Projects
- June 5, 2019 – Miami Climate Month
- July 27, 2019 – Underwater Climate Rally
- August 7, 2019 – Brian Haus, University of Miami Chair of Ocean Sciences
- September 4, 2019 – LCV to Cortada Projects
- October 2, 2019 – Focus Group on Resilient 305
- November 6, 2019 – Katharine Mach, University of Miami Climate Scientist
- December 5, 2019 – Underwater HOA at UNTITLED, ART Fair’s “Futurescape Miami: Skyline to Shoreline”
- November 2019 – Underwater HOA Meeting with Katharine Mach
- December 2019 – Underwater HOA Meeting at UNTITLED Art Fair
- February 2020 – Underwater HOA Planning Meeting
- February 2020 – Meeting Recap
- March 2020 – Future of Flood Insurance
- May 2020 – Underwater HOA: Conversations
- May 2020 – Underwater HOA: Conversations Recap
- June 2020 – Emerging Climate Trends and Predictions
- June 2020 – Emerging Climate Trends and Predictions Recap